- This event has passed.
Bronze NNAS Navigation Course 15 – 16 November 2018 (Mugdock/Glasgow)
15 Nov, 9:30 am - 16 Nov, 5:00 pm£80
The Bronze National Navigation Award Scheme (NNAS) is aimed at beginners. During the two days of the course we will teach you the basics of navigation. You will receive expert tuition and plenty of practical hands on experience. The Bronze NNAS is an accredited course, and when you complete you will be presented with a certificate. We’re confident that at the end of this course you will be able to navigate on paths and tracks!
What is the National Navigation Award Scheme?
The National Navigation Award Scheme is a national scheme which aims to teach people how to navigate and look after themselves in the countryside and mountains of Britain. It isn’t a leadership award. It is accredited by the Scottish Credit & Qualification Framework (SCQF) at level 4, and is worth 2 credits.
What gear will you need ?
You should dress for a day in the hills we will send you a suggested kit list in your welcome pack. Don’t worry about bringing a map or compass- we’ll provide those on the day.
Fitness and experience.
You will need to be fit enough to spend a day walking on good paths and rolling hillside. You don’t need any previous hill walking or mountaineering experience.
What is included in the price?
Instruction by a qualified mountain leader, the use of require maps and compasses for the duration of the course, and a certificate to attendance.
Our instructors have years of experience teaching people how to navigate. All of our supervisors are Summer Mountain Leaders and hold an outdoor first aid qualification. Aside from that we’re a diverse bunch from a wide range of backgrounds- teaching and youth work, to laser engineers! Rest assured that our team are all friendly, dependable and qualified individuals who love the outdoors and making sure that you have the best possible experience on our navigation courses.
What will I learn?
Over the two days you will learn:
- The different Maps, and scales.
- How the British Grid System works and how to take a grid reference.
- How to develop a navigation strategy; sometime know as the 4 Ds.
- The different types of compass, their advantages and disadvantages and their parts.
- How to use a compass for taking measurements and bearings.
- How to follow a bearing in poor weather conditions.
- Measuring distance on the ground by using pacing, and timing.
- How to understand the contours on the map.
- How to navigate around obstacles.
- Learn about our access to the countryside and the Countryside Code.
- Different types of hillwalking equipment and their uses.
What are my next steps?
After completing the Bronze NNAS course you may want to look at some of our other navigation courses. Such as the two day Silver NNAS course, or the one day navigation improvers course.
19 Jan 2019, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
20 Jan 2019, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
9 Mar 2019, 10:00 am - 4:00 pm